BRAISED VEAL SHANKS, MILAN STYLE
Enjoy this Italian slow cooked dish that's made using beef, veggies served with gremolata - a delicious dinner.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 13
- 4 pounds veal shanks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim excess fat from veal shanks. Coat veal with flour. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook veal in oil about 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides; drain.
- Place veal in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients; pour over veal.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until veal is very tender and pulls away from bones.
- Remove veal and vegetables from cooker, using slotted spoon; place on serving platter. Skim fat from veal juices in cooker if desired. Pour juices over veal and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 450, Carbohydrate 7 g, Cholesterol 255 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 62 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 620 mg
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS
- For shanks
- 8 (12- to 14-oz) meaty cross-cut veal shanks (also known as ossobuco; each about 13/4 inches thick)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and finely chopped
- 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes in juice, pulsed (including juice) in food processor until chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 (4- by 1-inch) strips fresh lemon zest
- 2 (4- by 1-inch) strips fresh orange zest
- For gremolata
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Make shanks:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pat shanks dry. Stir together flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper on a sheet of wax paper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. While oil heats, dredge 4 shanks in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Brown shanks in oil on all sides, turning with tongs, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large (17- by 12- by 2-inch) roasting pan. Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet and repeat with remaining 4 shanks. Discard remaining flour mixture.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook onion, garlic, anchovies, bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add wine and boil, scraping up any brown bits, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water, zest strips, and remaining teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, then pour mixture over shanks. Tightly cover pan with foil and braise in oven 1 hour. Turn shanks over, cover, and continue to braise until meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours more.
- Remove from oven and skim fat from surface of sauce, then transfer shanks and sauce to a large platter. Discard bay leaves.
- Make gremolata:
- Stir together parsley, grated zests, and garlic and sprinkle over shanks.
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS
- For stew
- 2 cups veal demiglace (16 fl oz)*
- 4 (1-lb) meaty cross-cut veal shanks (osso buco), each tied with kitchen string
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes in juice, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf (preferably fresh)
- For gremolata
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Accompaniment: wild mushroom risotto
- Make stew:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 350°F.
- Bring demiglace to a simmer in a 1-quart saucepan over moderate heat. Remove from heat and keep warm, partially covered.
- Pat shanks dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dredge shanks in flour to coat, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy ovenproof pot over moderately high heat until just smoking, then brown shanks on all sides, about 10 minutes total, and transfer with tongs to a plate. Add butter to pot and heat until foam subsides, then sauté onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 9 minutes.
- Add wine, scraping up any brown bits, then add warm demiglace, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Return shanks (with any juices accumulated on plate) to pot and bring liquid to a boil, then cover pot and braise shanks in oven until meat is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Carefully transfer shanks with a slotted spoon to a clean plate and keep warm, loosely covered with foil. Skim fat from sauce, then simmer, uncovered, on top of stove, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper and add shanks, then cook over low heat until heated through. (Discard strings and bay leaf before serving.)
- Make gremolata:
- Stir together parsley, zest, rosemary, and thyme and sprinkle over osso buco just before serving.
- *Available at specialty foods shops and cooking.com.
Top Asked Questions
How long do you cook veal shanks on each side?Season the veal shanks with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until well browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add the bacon and butter to the casserole and cook over low heat until the bacon fat has been rendered, about 3 minutes.
What do you do with braised veal shanks?Braised Veal Shanks. Meaty veal shanks turn meltingly tender when braised slowly in wine and vegetables. Plus they each hold a delectable nugget of marrow in the hollow bone. Serve the shanks over buttered egg noodles or fettuccine and be sure to include a tiny spoon for scooping out the marrow.
How do you cook beef shanks and vegetables?Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the shanks on both sides, in batches if necessary. Remove and set aside. In the same Dutch oven over medium heat, soften the vegetables, adding oil as needed. Add the honey and deglaze with the port. Add the shanks and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven.
How do you cook veal in a Dutch oven?Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Carefully add the veal and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side, turning with a pair of kitchen tongs. Transfer the veal to a large plate or platter. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the dutch oven and saute the carrots, celery and onion for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
Cute chocolate "cauldrons" hold a cool, creamy orange-flavored yogurt in this recipe. The unfilled cups can be made days in advance and stored at room...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Catherine McCord
This is my technique for veal demi-glace, and there's not much to it. I'm going for a pure veal stock reduction, fortified with nothing more than mirepoix...
Provided by Chef John
OMG!!! I had to make this cake this past Sunday for my Mary Kay party.. It was a huge hit. It was also devoured!! So easy,so good,so sinfully rich..if...
Provided by vicky hunt
Good food doesn't always have to cost a fortune! Your family will love this. Full of flavor and easy on your pocket book!
Provided by Melissa Baldan
This is a very good potato dish , I stem baby red potatoes and smother them in real butter and parsley flakes. I enjoy a dollop of sour cream on mine but...
Provided by Karla Everett
Provided by á-174942
Try this Instant Pot®-friendly variation of a traditional bean stew from the Portuguese region of Azores. This can be served alone, or over rice, and...
Provided by Ryan C Mathews
Provided by Florence Fabricant
A unique twist on a classic white chocolate fudge recipe! While quick and easy to prepare, Bruce's® Yams Salted Cashew Sweet Potato Fudge is a nutty,...
Provided by Bruce's Yams
Sure you can make a quick Chicken Pot Pie using already made pie crust, canned soups, vegetables and chicken. Just think about all the salt in those ingredients....
Provided by Julia Ferguson
This delicious red velvet pound cake is the perfect combination of flavors. Make sure the cake has cooled before icing it; for extra crunch sprinkle some...
Provided by Taste of Home
Dis is da toe curlin Texicajun hybrid of a classic dish. This will put a smile on everyone's face that's eatin it. Throw on some Zydeco music and serve...
Provided by Lupe Boudreaux
Provided by Kemp Minifie
This is a tender and delicious baked pork chop recipe, with an Italian flair.
Provided by larvia57
People also searched
More about "braised veal shanks food"
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE | FOOD & WINE
Servings 8Total Time 3 hrs 15 minsCategory Veal
- Season the veal shanks generously with salt and pepper. In a very large enameled cast-iron casserole set over a heat diffuser (if you have one), melt the butter in the oil. Stir in the turmeric, then add the veal shanks. Cook over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer the veal to a plate.
- Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until barely softened, about 5 minutes. Add 4 cups of water; bring to a boil over high heat. Nestle the veal shanks and the spice sachet in the braising liquid. Cover the casserole and braise over low heat until the veal is just tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Uncover the casserole and cover the shanks with a large piece of parchment. Cover the casserole and continue to braise over low heat until the veal is very tender, about 45 minutes longer.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the veal shanks and onions to a platter and tent with foil. Boil the braising liquid over high heat until slightly reduced but still light in color, about 10 minutes. Discard the strings from the shanks and spoon some of the braising liquid on top. Serve.
ITALIAN OSSO BUCO (BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) - JULIA'S ALBUM
4.9/5 (14)Total Time 2 hrs 30 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 642 per serving
- Season osso buco (veal shanks) with salt. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the veal shanks and cook for about 2 minutes total on high heat, turning once, until golden-browned. Remove the veal to a plate.
- Add white wine and water, add chicken bullion cubes, mix everything on high heat until chicken bullion cubes dissolve. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, stir in. Add fresh thyme and stir in.
- Return veal shanks to the skillet. Note: If you like, at this point you can use a kitchen string to tie around each veal shank which will help to hold it together during the 2 hour cooking time. However, using the kitchen string is optional.
SIMPLE SAVORY GARLIC WINE BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - GARLIC & …
3.2/5 (20)Total Time 2 hrs 35 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 258 per serving
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Break apart the garlic cloves and add them to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the garlic and peel the cloves, discarding the skins.
SPICY SOUTHERN-STYLE BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - THRIFTY FOODS
Servings 4Total Time 2 hrs 30 mins
OSSO BUCO ALLA MILANESE (BRAISED VEAL SHANKS,
5/5 (1)Category Main DishCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr
RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE GARLIC- AND WINE-BRAISED VEAL …
Servings 4Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.4/5 (35)Category EntreeAuthor Elizabeth PatrickCalories 666 per serving
VEAL SHANKS BRAISED IN EXOTIC MUSHROOM SAUCE - …
Servings 4Total Time 2 hrs 35 mins
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
Servings 4Total Time 2 hrs 30 minsCategory Lunch, Dinner, Main CourseCalories 314 per serving
WINE-BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - CANADIAN LIVING
OSSO BUCO RECIPE (BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) | SAVEUR
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
Category Main-CourseTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH POLENTA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 4Calories 378 per servingTotal Time 1 hr 54 mins
- Trim fat from veal. Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and next 4 ingredients in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Add 1 shank at a time to bag; shake to coat with flour mixture. Reserve flour mixture in bag.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add veal and cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer veal to a plate. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté until tender. Sprinkle onion mixture with reserved flour mixture. Cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add beef broth and wine; bring to a boil. Return veal to pan; cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until veal is tender. Remove veal from oven; let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- While veal is standing, combine water, cornmeal, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Stir, cover with wax paper, and microwave at HIGH 5 minutes. Stir, cover, and continue to cook at HIGH 4 minutes or until polenta is very thick. Divide polenta evenly among 4 serving plates. Spoon off and discard fat from veal juices. Place veal over polenta; spoon juices over veal and polenta.
BRAISED OSSO BUCO RECIPE - OVEN BAKED VEAL SHANK
Ratings 19Calories 555 per servingCategory Dinner, Lunch, Maincourse
- Thaw the shanks for at least an hour before you plan to cook. Place them on clean paper hand towels and pat them dry. Pro tip - The shanks must be dry otherwise they will stew instead of sear. I like to leave to thaw them uncovered in the fridge overnight so that excess moisture can dry out.
- Generously season the shanks with salt and pepper on both sides. Then coat each one in flour and dust off excess flour. Set aside.Pro tip - you can tie each shank with kitchen twine to hold them together so they do not fall apart during cooking. I did not do this today as you can see in the video.
- Use a large oven-safe pan such as a Dutch oven, that will accommodate all the shanks. Add one tbsp oil and one tablespoon butter. Pro tip - alternatively you can sear the meat in batches as I have done in the video.
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS, MILAN STYLE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (1)Total Time 8 hrs 30 minsCategory VealCalories 445 per serving
- Trim excess fat from veal shanks. Coat veal with flour. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook veal in oilabout 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides; drain.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours or until veal is very tender and pulls away from bones.
- Remove veal and vegetables from cooker, using slotted spoon; place on serving plate. Skim fat from juices in cooker. Pour juices over veal and vegetables.
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH CARROTS, PARSNIPS ... - FOOD NETWORK
Author Michael LomonacoSteps 2Difficulty Easy
- Season the veal with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet and sear the veal shanks over high heat on all sides until well browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the browned veal shanks from the skillet and place them in an ovenproof casserole. To the same skillet in which you browned the veal, add the diced vegetables, along with the whole garlic cloves, and saute them for 3 to 4 minutes.
- When the vegetables have begun to cook and wilt, add the tomato paste and combine thoroughly. Be careful not to burn the tomato paste. Add the white wine and the chicken or veal stock and bring to a boil. Carefully pour the vegetable liquid mixture over the veal shanks in the casserole and braise covered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes. The veal should be fork tender, with the meat just beginning to separate from the bone when you remove them from the oven. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
WINE-BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE - DANNY MEYER | FOOD & …
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Heat the oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Season the veal shanks with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until well browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the bacon and butter to the casserole and cook over low heat until the bacon fat has been rendered, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, celery, shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to moderately high and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the wine and simmer for 4 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Return the veal shanks to the casserole and add the bay leaves, thyme and sage. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 2 hours, or until the veal is very tender. Transfer the shanks to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Increase the oven temperature to 500°.
- On top of the stove, boil the cooking liquid until it is very flavorful, about 12 minutes. Strain into a medium saucepan and skim the fat from the surface. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH GREMOLATA RECIPE - FOOD NETWORK
Servings 4Category Main-DishAuthor Michael SymonDifficulty Easy
- Coarse sea salt, for garnish, optional For the braised veal shanks: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Dredge the shanks in the flour, making sure to get off any excess. Add the shanks to the pan, in batches if necessary, and cook on all sides until browned, 3 to 4 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate. If browning in batches, repeat with the remaining shanks. Add the onions, carrots, celery, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and chiles to the pan and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until glossy, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, scraping to deglaze the pan. Add the chicken stock and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Taste the simmering braising liquid at this point; it should taste seasoned. Return the shanks to the pan, cover and braise in the oven until the meat is very tender, 3 to 4 hours.
- For the gremolata: When almost ready to serve, combine the parsley, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, salt and garlic in a small bowl. Stir to combine. To serve, remove the shanks to a serving platter and spoon the sauce and braising vegetables over the top of them. Sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt and garnish with gremolata.
BRAISED LAMB, VEAL OR BEEF SHANKS - DEB'S KITCHEN
- Place the thyme and bay leaves into a piece of cheesecloth, close by tying the ends of the cheesecloth together. This is your bouquet garni. Set aside.
- Brown the shanks on all sides, then set aside. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and sauté until the onions start to turn translucent. Add wine, stock tomatoes, tomato paste and bouquet garni. Stir well, snug the shanks into the liquid until they are completely or nearly covered with liquid.
VEAL SHANKS BRAISED IN BEER - MON FOOD BLOG
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
BEST OSSO BUCO (BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) RECIPES | FOOD ...
2.8/5 (50)Servings 6
CHINESE BRAISED VEAL SHANK - AHEAD OF THYME
Cuisine ChineseTotal Time 3 hrs 5 minsCategory AppetizerCalories 236 per serving
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH CREAM SAUCE RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
Cuisine German, European, MediterraneanTotal Time 3 hrs 15 minsServings 4
OSSO BUCO (ITALIAN BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) RECIPE
5/5 (3)Total Time 4 hrsCategory MainsCalories 818 per serving
OSSOBUCO MILANESE (BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) - ITALIAN RECIPES ...
4.8/5 (6)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Main CoursesCalories 852 per serving
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH PEARL MUSHROOMS | WEGMANS
5/5 (1)Category ItalianServings 6Total Time 3 hrs
PORT-BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - RICARDO CUISINE
4/5 (16)Category Main DishesServings 6Total Time 2 hrs 35 mins
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - CARIBBEAN GREEN LIVING
Servings 6Total Time 4 hrs 15 minsEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
MOROCCAN BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
3.5/5 (2)Calories 455 per servingServings 6
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE - CUISINART.COM
14 BEST BRAISED VEAL SHANKS IDEAS | BRAISED, VEAL SHANK ...
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - DAIRY FREE RECIPES
OSSO BUCO (BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) - BEEF VEAL FOOD RECIPES ...
OSSO BUCCO BRAISED VEAL SHANKS, TRIESTE STYLE RECIPE ...
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH PORCINI AND GREMOLATA ...
BRAISED WHOLE VEAL SHANK | DINNER WITH WEIJIA
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH GARLIC RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE - CUISINART.COM
BEST BRAISED LAMB SHANK RECIPE WITH MONTERREY JOHNNY CAKES
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS IN SMOTHERED ONIONS RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH GARLIC RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
OSSO BUCO (ITALIAN BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) RECIPE - FOOD RECIPES
BRAISED VEAL SHANK RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - LEHIGH VALLEY GOOD TASTE