CLASSIC OSSO BUCO
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) veal shanks, cut in 1 1/2-inch ( 4 cm) slices
- 1/4 cup (30 g/1 oz) flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 bottle (375 ml) dry white wine
- a 14.5-ounce (435 g) can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1 cup (250 ml/8 fl oz) veal stock, more if needed
- For the Gremolata
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves
- bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1. Heat the oven to 350°F (176°F/Gas 4). Put the flour on a plate, add generous amounts of salt and pepper, and coat the veal slices, with flour, patting to remove the excess. Heat the oil and butter in a sauté pan or frying pan big enough for all the veal slices to touch the bottom. Add half the slices and brown them over quite high heat, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn them, brown the other side and remove them to a plate. Brown the remaining slices and remove them also.
- 2. Lower the heat to medium, add the onion and carrot and sauté until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour in the wine and boil until reduced by half, stirring to dissolve the pan juices. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, orange zest, veal stock, salt, and pepper. Immerse the veal slices in this sauce - the liquid should come at least halfway up the sides. Cover the pan and bring it to a boil.
- 3. Braise the shanks in the oven until the meat is very tender and falling from the bone, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir from time to time, gently turning the slices, and if the pan seems dry, add more stock. At the end of cooking, taste and adjust seasoning of the sauce. Osso buco can be cooked ahead and stored up to 3 days in the refrigerator, or frozen. Keep it in the pan ready to be reheated on top of the stove.
- 4. For the gremolata, chop the garlic; pull parsley leaves from the stems, and chop the leaves together with the garlic. Stir in the grated lemon zest and pile the gremolata in a bowl. It can be served separately from the osso buco, for guests to help themselves, or sprinkled on the dish just before it goes to the table.
Top Asked Questions
What is osso buco?Osso buco is a classic Italian recipe made by slow cooking veal shanks until the meat is tender and succulent. Veal shanks are tough cuts of meat with a lot of connective tissue in them.
How to cook osso buco with veal?For the osso buco: Sprinkle the veal with salt and pepper and heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Spread some flour on a plate, then dredge the veal in the flour on all sides and add to the oil.
What to serve with osso buco?Fall-apart tender osso buco is a special-occasion braised classic. Invite friends over and make one of these renditions for a truly satisfying meal. Osso buco is Italian comfort food at its best, but it is also elegant enough to serve at any gathering. A rich and creamy saffron risotto is the classic accompaniment.
How long does osso buco last in the fridge?Allow the Osso Buco to cool, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, per USDA. Making this recipe? I’d love to hear about your experience! Please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @cookathomemom. Making classic Osso Buco has never been this easy or fast!
Cute chocolate "cauldrons" hold a cool, creamy orange-flavored yogurt in this recipe. The unfilled cups can be made days in advance and stored at room...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Catherine McCord
This is my technique for veal demi-glace, and there's not much to it. I'm going for a pure veal stock reduction, fortified with nothing more than mirepoix...
Provided by Chef John
OMG!!! I had to make this cake this past Sunday for my Mary Kay party.. It was a huge hit. It was also devoured!! So easy,so good,so sinfully rich..if...
Provided by vicky hunt
Good food doesn't always have to cost a fortune! Your family will love this. Full of flavor and easy on your pocket book!
Provided by Melissa Baldan
This is a very good potato dish , I stem baby red potatoes and smother them in real butter and parsley flakes. I enjoy a dollop of sour cream on mine but...
Provided by Karla Everett
Provided by á-174942
Try this Instant Pot®-friendly variation of a traditional bean stew from the Portuguese region of Azores. This can be served alone, or over rice, and...
Provided by Ryan C Mathews
Provided by Florence Fabricant
A unique twist on a classic white chocolate fudge recipe! While quick and easy to prepare, Bruce's® Yams Salted Cashew Sweet Potato Fudge is a nutty,...
Provided by Bruce's Yams
Sure you can make a quick Chicken Pot Pie using already made pie crust, canned soups, vegetables and chicken. Just think about all the salt in those ingredients....
Provided by Julia Ferguson
This delicious red velvet pound cake is the perfect combination of flavors. Make sure the cake has cooled before icing it; for extra crunch sprinkle some...
Provided by Taste of Home
Dis is da toe curlin Texicajun hybrid of a classic dish. This will put a smile on everyone's face that's eatin it. Throw on some Zydeco music and serve...
Provided by Lupe Boudreaux
Provided by Kemp Minifie
This is a tender and delicious baked pork chop recipe, with an Italian flair.
Provided by larvia57
People also searched
More about "classic osso buco food"
TRADITIONAL OSSO BUCO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
5/5 (226)Total Time 1 hr 50 minsCategory Italian Main DishesCalories 478 per serving
- Dust the veal shanks lightly with flour. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the veal, and cook until browned on the outside. Remove to a bowl, and keep warm. Add two cloves of crushed garlic and onion to the skillet; cook and stir until onion is tender. Return the veal to the pan and mix in the carrot and wine. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and beef stock, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, basting the veal every 15 minutes or so. The meat should be tender, but not falling off the bone.
- In a small bowl, mix together the parsley, 1 clove of garlic and lemon zest. Sprinkle the gremolata over the veal just before serving.
OSSO BUCO RECIPE - LUDO LEFEBVRE | FOOD & WINE
5/5 (2)Category Meat + Poultry
OSSO BUCO RECIPE | GIADA DE LAURENTIIS | FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (220)Difficulty EasyCategory Main-DishSteps 7
OSSO BUCO WITH GREMOLATA RECIPE - FOOD.COM
OSSO BUCO - CLASSIC MILAN, ITALY (MILANESE) CUISINE
CLASSIC OSSO BUCO - COOKING WITH NONNA
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT OSSO BUCO | ITALIAN FOOD AND DRINK - THE …
TRADITIONAL ITALIAN OSSO BUCCO - LOVE FOOD
WHAT IS OSSO BUCO? PLUS 11 RECIPES TO TRY - GREATIST
HOW TO MAKE OSSO BUCO - CLASSIC RECIPE - TASTYLICIOUS
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OSSO BUCCO? 8 BEST SIDE DISHES
BEST ITALIAN OSSO BUCO SOUP RECIPE | SIMPLE. TASTY. GOOD.
CLASSIC OSSO BUCO | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED
CLASSIC OSSO BUCO MILANESE – WILD FORK FOODS
RECIPES | ALTO-SHAAM
A RECIPE FOR ITALIAN OSSO BUCO - THE SPRUCE EATS
SLOW-BRAISED OSSO BUCO RECIPE - D'ORAZIO FOOD EVENTS - FOOD
SLOW COOKER OSSO BUCO RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CLASSIC OSSO BUCO | WILLIAMS SONOMA
OSSO BUCO | RECIPETIN EATS
CLASSIC OSSO BUCO OF MILK-FED VEAL | METRO
BEST CANADIAN LIVING COOKS' OSSO BUCO RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
HOW TO PREPARE AUTHENTIC OSSO BUCO | HOW TO FEED A LOON
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN OSSO BUCO (BRAISED VEAL RECIPE) | TASTING TABLE
OSSO BUCO RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
TRADITIONAL OSSO BUCO RECIPE | OSSOBUCO ALLA MILANESE
CLASSIC PORK OSSO BUCO - LE PORC DU QUéBEC
OSSOBUCO ALLA MILANESE | TRADITIONAL VEAL DISH FROM MILAN, ITALY
OSSO BUCO RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
OSSOBUCO ALLA MILANESE RECIPE - GREAT ITALIAN CHEFS
CLASSIC OSSO BUCO - CATELLI BROTHERS
OSSO BUCO, A MILANESE CLASSIC! - INDULGE WITH ILDI
CLASSIC OSSO BUCO RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
OSSO BUCO | THE MODERN PROPER
OSSO BUCO – CLASSIC MILAN, ITALY (MILANESE) CUISINE
BEST OSSO BUCO — HOW TO MAKE OSSO BUCO - DELISH
CLASSIC VENISON OSSO BUCO IS STUPID SIMPLE AND GUARANTEED TO …
OSSOBUCO RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
BASIC OSSO BUCO RECIPE - FOOD REPUBLIC
OSSO BUCO | CANADIAN LIVING
OSSO BUCO MILANESE RECIPES BEST RECIPES AND RELATED RECIPES
PERFECT OSSO BUCO RECIPE: A FAMILY TAKE ON ITALIAN COMFORT FOOD
OSSO BUCO RECIPE - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
OSSO BUCO RECIPES - COOKING WITH NONNA
OSSO BUCO | RICARDO