CRANBERRY CHESS PIE
A popular Southern dessert said to originate in England, chess pie consists of staple ingredients: eggs, butter, and sugar, bound with cornmeal, flour, or both. While some recipes rely on tangy buttermilk to offset the rich custard, this version uses lemon juice and barely cooked cranberries instead.
Provided by Sarah Jampel
Yield Makes one 9" pie
Number Of Ingredients 13
- 1 (9") store-bought or homemade prebaked pie crust
- 12 oz. fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1½ cups (300 g) sugar
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. fine-ground cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Powdered sugar (for serving; optional)
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 325°F. Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook cranberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until some have begun to split and burst, 6-8 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid. Remove from heat and let cool (if you're in a rush, transferring to a baking sheet or medium bowl will help them cool faster).
- Combine sugar and salt in a large bowl, then add lemon zest. Use your fingers to rub zest into sugar until moist and fragrant. Whisk in cornmeal and flour, then add eggs and vigorously whisk until well combined, about 30 seconds, Whisk in cream, butter, and vanilla, then add lemon juice and whisk again. Set a few cranberries aside for the top. Gently fold in remaining cranberries with a rubber spatula, breaking up any clumps.
- Gently pour mixture into pie crust and dot reserved cranberries over top of custard (this makes for the most photo-worthy dessert). Bake pie until top is golden brown and set but custard still jiggles in the center (about a 3" radius), 60-70 minutes. If your pie isn't as brown as you'd like it, you can increase oven temperature to 350°F for the last 5-10 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool (custard will fall as it cools). Transfer pie to the fridge and chill at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar if using. For the cleanest slices, cut with a hot dry knife (just like if you were cutting cheesecake).
- Do ahead: Pie can be made 3 days ahead. Keep chilled. Return to room temperature to serve if you'd like.
Top Asked Questions
What is chess pie?SUBSCRIBE Already a subscriber? Sign in A popular Southern dessert said to originate in England, chess pie consists of staple ingredients: eggs, butter, and sugar, bound with cornmeal, flour, or both. While some recipes rely on tangy buttermilk to offset the rich custard, this version uses lemon juice and barely cooked cranberries instead.
How do you use cranberries in a pie recipe?Set a few cranberries aside for the top. Gently fold in remaining cranberries with a rubber spatula, breaking up any clumps. Gently pour mixture into pie crust and dot reserved cranberries over top of custard (this makes for the most photo-worthy dessert).
Is cranberry pie like clafoutis?The cranberry pie recipe comes from Epi contributor Sarah Jampel, who adores chess pie and was looking to offer a Thanksgiving option that’s as easy as clafoutis —the eggy fruit-studded French dessert.
How to make a cranberry cake with cranberries?Whisk in cornmeal and flour, then add eggs and vigorously whisk until well combined, about 30 seconds, Whisk in cream, butter, and vanilla, then add lemon juice and whisk again. Set a few cranberries aside for the top. Gently fold in remaining cranberries with a rubber spatula, breaking up any clumps.
Cute chocolate "cauldrons" hold a cool, creamy orange-flavored yogurt in this recipe. The unfilled cups can be made days in advance and stored at room...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Catherine McCord
This is my technique for veal demi-glace, and there's not much to it. I'm going for a pure veal stock reduction, fortified with nothing more than mirepoix...
Provided by Chef John
OMG!!! I had to make this cake this past Sunday for my Mary Kay party.. It was a huge hit. It was also devoured!! So easy,so good,so sinfully rich..if...
Provided by vicky hunt
Good food doesn't always have to cost a fortune! Your family will love this. Full of flavor and easy on your pocket book!
Provided by Melissa Baldan
This is a very good potato dish , I stem baby red potatoes and smother them in real butter and parsley flakes. I enjoy a dollop of sour cream on mine but...
Provided by Karla Everett
Provided by á-174942
Try this Instant Pot®-friendly variation of a traditional bean stew from the Portuguese region of Azores. This can be served alone, or over rice, and...
Provided by Ryan C Mathews
Provided by Florence Fabricant
A unique twist on a classic white chocolate fudge recipe! While quick and easy to prepare, Bruce's® Yams Salted Cashew Sweet Potato Fudge is a nutty,...
Provided by Bruce's Yams
Sure you can make a quick Chicken Pot Pie using already made pie crust, canned soups, vegetables and chicken. Just think about all the salt in those ingredients....
Provided by Julia Ferguson
This delicious red velvet pound cake is the perfect combination of flavors. Make sure the cake has cooled before icing it; for extra crunch sprinkle some...
Provided by Taste of Home
Dis is da toe curlin Texicajun hybrid of a classic dish. This will put a smile on everyone's face that's eatin it. Throw on some Zydeco music and serve...
Provided by Lupe Boudreaux
Provided by Kemp Minifie
This is a tender and delicious baked pork chop recipe, with an Italian flair.
Provided by larvia57
People also searched
More about "cranberry chess pie food"
CRANBERRY CUSTARD PIE RECIPE | KARDEA BROWN | FOOD …
Author Kardea BrownSteps 6Difficulty Easy
CRANBERRY CUSTARD PIE - FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN
Author Food Network KitchenSteps 4Difficulty 2 hr
BAKE THE BOOK: CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - NATURIPE FARMS …
OLD FASHIONED CHESS PIE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
LIME CHESS PIE WITH CANDIED CRANBERRIES - RACHAEL RAY …
CRANBERRY-LEMON CHESS PIE - TASTE OF THE SOUTH
CRANBERRY CHEESE CRUMB PIE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
HOLIDAY SPICED CRANBERRY CHESS PIE — THE SWEET
CRANBERRY CHOCOLATE CHESS PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
5/5 (2)Calories 359 per servingTotal Time 1 hr 5 mins
- Grease and flour a 9" pie pan. Roll the chilled, rested dough into a 12" to 13" circle and fit it into the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F., Place the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE | CHESS PIE, BAKING BOOK, CLASSIC DESSERTS
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE | RECIPE | CRANBERRY RECIPES, SOUTHERN DESSERTS ...
BEST CHESS PIE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHESS PIE - THE PIONEER …
FOOD SHOW CLUB: CRANBERRY CHESS PIE
RECIPE | CRANBERRY RECIPES, CHESS PIE, BAKING - PINTEREST
CRANBERRY CREAM CHEESE CRUMB PIE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
HOOSIER MAMA'S CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - SOUTHERN RECIPES
CRANBERRY CHESS TART | WILLIAMS SONOMA
CRANBERRY & ORANGE CHESS PIE | CHESS PIE, CRANBERRY ORANGE, …
CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - HANGTIME WINES
WHAT'S ON THE MENU THIS WEEK?｜MARLEY SPOON
SIMPLEMILLS - LEMON CRANBERRY CHESS PIE
STRAWBERRY LEMON EASY CHESS PIE - KITCHEN FUN WITH MY 3 SONS
SIMPLE RECIPES 裸 CRANBERRY CHESS PIE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
CRANBERRY CHERRY PIE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - TASTE OF HOME
CRANBERRY PIE - RECIPE GIRL®
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE – CHEF MATTHEW
FRESH CRANBERRY CUSTARD PIE - THERESCIPES.INFO
A LEMONY CRANBERRY PIE FOR A BRIGHTER THANKSGIVING - YAHOO!
CHERRY CRANBERRY PIE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - NEWSBREAK
MAKE THIS CRANBERRY PIE FOR A BRIGHTER THANKSGIVING | EPICURIOUS
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE | CHESS PIE, FOOD, DELICIOUS PIES
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE | RECIPE | CRANBERRY RECIPES, CHESS PIE, RECIPES
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE - STYLEBLUEPRINT.COM
DELIGHTFULLY SWEET AND DELIGHTFULLY SOUR – LINGONBERRY CHESS PIE
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE- WIKIFOODHUB
CRANBERRY PIE II RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE | BAKE THE BOOK - SERIOUS EATS
CAKE DOME SUNDAY #37: CRANBERRY CHESS PIE
VANILLA CHESS PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
CRANBERRY RECIPES - SERIOUS EATS
CRANBERRY PIE - I AM BAKER