DOENJANG JJIGAE (된장찌개 / FERMENTED-SOYBEAN STEW)
This fermented-soybean stew is the quintessential representation of Korean jang. The soft tofu, the dashi, and the sweetness of the vegetables work together to mellow the intensity of the doenjang so that your palate can discern the different facets of flavor.
Provided by Hooni Kim
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- 4 cups Dashi
- ¼ cup doenjang (Korean fermented soybean paste)
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 medium green zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red Korean chili pepper or other long hot chili, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 green Korean chili pepper or other long hot chili, thinly sliced on the bias
- ½ pound brisket, sliced ⅛ inch thick (you can ask your butcher to slice it) and cut into 2- to 3-inch strips
- 1 pound soft or silken tofu, homemade (page 67) or store-bought, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch batons
- Put the dashi in a stockpot or other large pot set over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the doenjang and cook for 10 minutes to bring out its natural sweetness. Add the gochujang and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the gochugaru, garlic, and soy sauce and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes. (Adding the vegetables at different times will ensure that they will all be fully cooked at the end.) Add the chili peppers, beef, and tofu and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more soy sauce if necessary.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the scallions, put on the lid, and let the stew rest for at least 30 minutes, and up to 2 hours, before serving. Serve with steamed rice and your favorite banchan, as any and all pair well with this stew.
Top Asked Questions
Can you use doenjang paste for stew?Although doenjang jjigae made with homemade doenjang paste would be the best, you can still make a good stew with a store-bought Korean soy bean paste. If you enjoy Korean soups and stews, don’t miss out this ever-popular Korean soybean paste stew.
How to make Korean doenjang soup?In a clay or thick bottom pot, add 1 cup of Korean stock and Doenjang; whisk until you don’t see any big lumps. You will see pieces of beans, don’t worry about them. Add rest of Korean stock and cover, bring it boil over high heat. Add squash, mushroom and tofu into boiling soup; bring back to boil.
What is doenjang jjigae?Save this story for later. Doenjang jjigae is the quintessential representation of Korean jang. Because doenjang, the fermented soybean paste, is such a pungent ingredient, the best way to showcase its delicious flavor is to soften it.
What do you put in doenjang jjigae?In terms of other ingredients added, tofu is typical in doenjang jjigae. For vegetables, I usually use Korean white radish (mu, 무), zucchini, onion, and fresh green and/or red chili pepper. Korean radish adds flavor and helps create a clean, refreshing broth.
Cute chocolate "cauldrons" hold a cool, creamy orange-flavored yogurt in this recipe. The unfilled cups can be made days in advance and stored at room...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Catherine McCord
This is my technique for veal demi-glace, and there's not much to it. I'm going for a pure veal stock reduction, fortified with nothing more than mirepoix...
Provided by Chef John
OMG!!! I had to make this cake this past Sunday for my Mary Kay party.. It was a huge hit. It was also devoured!! So easy,so good,so sinfully rich..if...
Provided by vicky hunt
Good food doesn't always have to cost a fortune! Your family will love this. Full of flavor and easy on your pocket book!
Provided by Melissa Baldan
This is a very good potato dish , I stem baby red potatoes and smother them in real butter and parsley flakes. I enjoy a dollop of sour cream on mine but...
Provided by Karla Everett
Provided by á-174942
Try this Instant Pot®-friendly variation of a traditional bean stew from the Portuguese region of Azores. This can be served alone, or over rice, and...
Provided by Ryan C Mathews
Provided by Florence Fabricant
A unique twist on a classic white chocolate fudge recipe! While quick and easy to prepare, Bruce's® Yams Salted Cashew Sweet Potato Fudge is a nutty,...
Provided by Bruce's Yams
Sure you can make a quick Chicken Pot Pie using already made pie crust, canned soups, vegetables and chicken. Just think about all the salt in those ingredients....
Provided by Julia Ferguson
This delicious red velvet pound cake is the perfect combination of flavors. Make sure the cake has cooled before icing it; for extra crunch sprinkle some...
Provided by Taste of Home
Dis is da toe curlin Texicajun hybrid of a classic dish. This will put a smile on everyone's face that's eatin it. Throw on some Zydeco music and serve...
Provided by Lupe Boudreaux
Provided by Kemp Minifie
This is a tender and delicious baked pork chop recipe, with an Italian flair.
Provided by larvia57
People also searched
More about "doenjang jjigae fermented soybean stew food"
DOENJANG JJIGAE (SOYBEAN PASTE STEW WITH PORK AND …
4.2/5 (259)Servings 2Cuisine KoreanCategory Main
- Cut the tofu and zucchini into about 1-inch cubes. Cut the radish into thin small squares. Thinly slice the onion and pepper. Roughly chop the scallion. Slice the meat into thin strips.
- Preheat a small pot with a little bit of oil. Sauté the meat, soybean paste, and chili pepper flakes, over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the water (or anchovy broth) and stir well to dissolve the soy bean paste. Add the radish. Boil over medium high heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, tofu, zucchini, and chili pepper. Boil for an additional 5 to 6 minutes. Throw in the scallion and add the vinegar with a minute or two remaining.
DOENJANG-JJIGAE (FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE STEW) RECIPE …
Category Side Dish
DOENJANG JJIGAE (KOREAN FERMENTED-BEAN-PASTE STEW) …
4.5/5 (2)Category Entree, Mains, Soups And Stews, SoupCuisine KoreanCalories 54 per serving
DOENJANG JJIGAE : KOREAN FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE …
CHICKEN DOENJANG JJIGAE (FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE STEW) …
RECIPE: DOENJANG JJIGAE (KOREAN FERMENTED SOYBEAN …
EASY DOENJANG JJIGAE (KOREAN SOYBEAN PASTE STEW)
DOENJANG - WIKIPEDIA
KOREAN FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE STEW (DOENJANG JJIGAE)
FERMENTED SOYBEAN STEW (DOENJANG JIGAE) | HOT STEW …
5/5 (1)Servings 2Cuisine KoreanCategory Dinner
[I ATE] DOENJANG-JJIGAE (KOREAN MISO STEW) : R/KOREANFOOD
SOYBEAN PASTE STEW WITH BEEF (SOGOGI DOENJANG-JJIGAE: 소고기 …
CHEONGGUKJANG STEW RECIPE – FUTUREDISH
DOENJANG-JJIGAE (FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE STEW) RECIPE BY …
DOENJANG JJIGAE: KOREAN FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE STEW
CLASSIC DOENJANG JJIGAE (KOREAN SOYBEAN PASTE STEW)
DOENJANG-JJIGAE (FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE STEW) - PINTEREST
VEGAN DOENJANG JJIGAE (KOREAN SOYBEAN PASTE STEW)
RECIPE: DOENJANG JJIGAE (KOREAN FERMENTED SOYBEAN PASTE STEW)
BIBIMBAP & DOENJANG JJIGAE (SOYBEAN PASTE STEW) - O'NGO FOOD
FERMENTED SOYBEAN STEW (DOENJANG-JJIGAE) - SAVEUR
DOENJANG JJIGAE RECIPE - NYT COOKING