QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE
A trilogy of apple-cider, cider vinegar, and ample chunks of Gala or Fuji- contributes sweet-tart goodness to this Germanic dish. It's a simple, straightforward celebration of fall.
Provided by Ian Knauer
Yield Makes 4 to 6 (side dish) servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 lb red cabbage, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Gala or Fuji apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 whole allspice (optional), crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- Cook garlic in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add cabbage, apple, cider, caraway, allspice (if using), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add vinegar and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to Cook Apple and red cabbage?Add onion and apple; cook, stirring, until onion softens, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in red cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Add vinegar, sugar, and water.
What can I do with braised red cabbage?Braised red cabbage is often slow-cooked, but this recipe combines cabbage, sausages and apple in one pot to make a quick and easy version that doesn't skimp on flavour. Tip: the leftovers make a great sausage sandwich for lunch. Layer up in soft white bread with mayonnaise, ketchup, fried onions and finely chopped chives.
How do you cook cabbage and apples with balsamic vinegar?Add 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, until the mixture is golden, about three minutes, then add the apples and stir for two to three minutes. Drain the cabbage and add to the pot.
How to cook cabbage on the stove top?1 In a large heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil then add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. 2 Stir in cabbage, garlic and apples. 3 Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until cabbage begins to wilt. 4 Stir in stock, vinegar, sugar and bay leaf. More items...
Cute chocolate "cauldrons" hold a cool, creamy orange-flavored yogurt in this recipe. The unfilled cups can be made days in advance and stored at room...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Catherine McCord
This is my technique for veal demi-glace, and there's not much to it. I'm going for a pure veal stock reduction, fortified with nothing more than mirepoix...
Provided by Chef John
OMG!!! I had to make this cake this past Sunday for my Mary Kay party.. It was a huge hit. It was also devoured!! So easy,so good,so sinfully rich..if...
Provided by vicky hunt
Good food doesn't always have to cost a fortune! Your family will love this. Full of flavor and easy on your pocket book!
Provided by Melissa Baldan
This is a very good potato dish , I stem baby red potatoes and smother them in real butter and parsley flakes. I enjoy a dollop of sour cream on mine but...
Provided by Karla Everett
Provided by á-174942
Try this Instant Pot®-friendly variation of a traditional bean stew from the Portuguese region of Azores. This can be served alone, or over rice, and...
Provided by Ryan C Mathews
Provided by Florence Fabricant
A unique twist on a classic white chocolate fudge recipe! While quick and easy to prepare, Bruce's® Yams Salted Cashew Sweet Potato Fudge is a nutty,...
Provided by Bruce's Yams
Sure you can make a quick Chicken Pot Pie using already made pie crust, canned soups, vegetables and chicken. Just think about all the salt in those ingredients....
Provided by Julia Ferguson
This delicious red velvet pound cake is the perfect combination of flavors. Make sure the cake has cooled before icing it; for extra crunch sprinkle some...
Provided by Taste of Home
Dis is da toe curlin Texicajun hybrid of a classic dish. This will put a smile on everyone's face that's eatin it. Throw on some Zydeco music and serve...
Provided by Lupe Boudreaux
Provided by Kemp Minifie
This is a tender and delicious baked pork chop recipe, with an Italian flair.
Provided by larvia57
People also searched
More about "quick braised red cabbage and apple food"
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH CIDER & APPLES - BBC GOOD …
Cuisine BritishTotal Time 1 hr 55 minsCategory Dinner, Lunch, Side Dish, VegetableCalories 166 per serving
- Peel off the outer leaves from the cabbage and discard. Quarter the cabbage, removing the tough stem, then thinly slice. Arrange a layer of the cabbage on the bottom of a large saucepan, followed by some of the onions, apples, zest, mixed spice, sugar and seasoning. Continue to create layers until you have used up the ingredients.
- Pour over the vinegar and cider and dot the butter on top. Bring to the boil then simmer with a lid on over low heat for 1½ hrs, until tender. The cabbage will keep for 2 days, covered, in the fridge or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in either a pan or in the microwave.
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES | ALLRECIPES
Servings 4Total Time 1 hrCategory Red Cabbage RecipesCalories 127 per serving
- Combine cabbage, apples, onion, vinegar, cinnamon, and salt in a large stock pot over low heat. Add orange juice and chopped flesh, then season with pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender and has reduced, at least 45 minutes.
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE AND APPLES RECIPE
5/5 (14)Calories 238 per servingServings 3
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage and onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble. Add cabbage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
EASY BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER SIDES …
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory SidesCalories 237 per serving
- Peel and slice the onion. Click off and discard any tatty outer leaves from the cabbage, then remove the core and chop into irregular chunks.Peel the apples, then chop into 2.5cm pieces, and pick and finely chop the parsley leaves.
- Finely slice the bacon.Drizzle a good lug of oil into a pan over a medium heat, add the bacon, then bash and add the fennel seeds and cook until golden.Add the onion, cover, and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and sticky.
- Scatter in the apple and cabbage, season with sea salt, black pepper and the vinegar, then stir well.Pop the lid back on, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 1 hour, or until gorgeously sticky and sweet, stirring occasionally.
BALSAMIC BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE | DELICIOUS. …
Cuisine British RecipesTotal Time 3 hrs 15 minsCategory Red Cabbage RecipesCalories 112 per serving
- Cut the cabbage in half and cut out the core. Thinly slice the cabbage and put into a large casserole with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the onions, apples, raisins, vinegar, sugar, butter and mixed spice, season well and mix together. Place over a low heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 hours, until tender and wilted down. Scatter with the parsley to serve.
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES AND ONIONS - CLEAN …
4.4/5 (16)Calories 523 per servingCategory DIET, DINNER, Sides
- Add onions along with a pinch of salt and saute for 6-8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add apples and garlic to the pan. Season with a little more salt and pepper, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, add in the red cabbage, balsamic vinegar, honey and a splash of water. Season again with salt and pepper, and gently stir everything together.
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH RED ONION AND APPLES - …
5/5 (31)Category AppleAuthor Maine-IacCalories 228 per serving
- In a large heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil then add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
RED CABBAGE AND APPLES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
5/5 (183)Category Vegetable Side DishesServings 3Calories 250 per serving
- Heat oil in a medium size saucepan. Stir in cabbage and onion; fry until wilted. Stir in apple and water, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes.
- Pour vinegar and sugar into the mixture while tasting for desired sweet and sour taste. Cook another 5 to 6 minutes.
RED CABBAGE AND APPLES RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Cuisine East EuropeanCategory Side DishesServings 8
RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Cuisine BritishTotal Time 55 minsCategory Dinner, Side DishCalories 67 per serving
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE AND ONION RECIPE | …
Ratings 443Calories 138 per servingCategory Gluten-Free Recipes
SAUTEED RED CABBAGE RECIPE | RACHAEL RAY | FOOD …
4.6/5 (109)Author Rachael RayCuisine EuropeanCategory Side-Dish
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES RECIPE - NYT COOKING
5/5 Category Easy, One Pot, Side DishServings 6-8Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE, SAUSAGES AND APPLES RECIPE
BRAISED RED CABBAGE - SPEND WITH PENNIES
5/5 (86)Total Time 1 hr 40 minsCategory Side DishCalories 54 per serving
SWEET AND SOUR BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE - EATS BY THE BEACH
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- In a large bowl, stir together the cider vinegar, the sugar and brown sugar until both sugars are dissolved. Add the cabbage and toss to coat in the vinegar mixture. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven with a lid, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to drain on paper towels.
- Add the chopped onion to the drippings in the Dutch oven. Saute the onion, stirring often until lightly caramelized. Stir in the grated apple and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the red wine and the cabbage/vinegar mixture. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE & BEETROOT - EVERYDAY ...
5/5 (4)Total Time 40 minsCategory Party Food, Side DishCalories 146 per serving
- In a large shallow pan/casserole dish (with a lid) heat up the oil, add the ginger, cabbage, grated beetroot and fry over a medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir thoroughly, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally. Serve hot. Adjust seasoning if necessary, sprinkle with fresh herbs, add the lemon zest and drizzle with a little oil before serving.
QUICK STIR-FRIED SPICED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES | RECIPES ...
Cuisine GeneralServings 2
BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE BY WOLFGANG PUCK
3.5/5 (4)Estimated Reading Time 50 secsServings 12
QUICK BRAISED CABBAGE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
Servings 3Total Time 30 minsCategory GreensCalories 263 per serving
HEALTHY RECIPE: BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE JUICE
Servings 6Category Vegetables
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH CIDER VINEGAR - MOTHER ...
Servings 8Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE AND STAR ANISE ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
POINTSPLUS BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLES RECIPE BY ...
4/5 (1)Servings 4
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE, SAUSAGES & APPLES - WAITROSE
3/5 (69)Total Time 40 minsServings 4Calories 427 per serving
BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE | MOLLY YEH | FOOD NETWORK
5/5 (12)Author Molly YehServings 6-8Category Side-Dish
FIVE-INGREDIENT BRAISED SAUSAGES WITH CABBAGE AND APPLES
QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE RECIPES SALADS ! ZMUSCLE
HEALTHY RECIPES: QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE RECIPE
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
CABBAGE BACON APPLE RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE, SAUSAGES AND APPLES – FOOD NOTES
QUICK RED CABBAGE AND APPLE - COOKEATSHARE
EASY RED CABBAGE RECIPES | GOODTOKNOW
BRAISED PORK KNUCKLE, APPLES AND RED CABBAGE | GMSQ ...
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED CABBAGE | FEATURES | JAMIE OLIVER
QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE
BRAISED RED CABBAGE & APPLES - FLAVOUR RECIPES
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE, SAUSAGES AND APPLES RECIPE ...
QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
COOKED CABBAGE AND APPLES RECIPE - ALL POPULAR BIRTHDAY ...
QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE RECIPE AND NUTRITION ...
QUICK-BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE | RECIPE | APPLES AND ...
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE, SAUSAGES & APPLES RECIPE ...
QUICK BRAISED RED CABBAGE AND APPLE FOOD- WIKIFOODHUB