BRAISED VEAL SHANKS
- Make shanks:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pat shanks dry. Stir together flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper on a sheet of wax paper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. While oil heats, dredge 4 shanks in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Brown shanks in oil on all sides, turning with tongs, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large (17- by 12- by 2-inch) roasting pan. Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet and repeat with remaining 4 shanks. Discard remaining flour mixture.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet and cook onion, garlic, anchovies, bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add wine and boil, scraping up any brown bits, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water, zest strips, and remaining teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, then pour mixture over shanks. Tightly cover pan with foil and braise in oven 1 hour. Turn shanks over, cover, and continue to braise until meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours more.
- Remove from oven and skim fat from surface of sauce, then transfer shanks and sauce to a large platter. Discard bay leaves.
- Make gremolata:
- Stir together parsley, grated zests, and garlic and sprinkle over shanks.
LEMON BRAISED VEAL SHOULDER
Fresh lemon enhances the rich, yet delicate flavor of veal. This recipe is oven braised. Cooking time is approximate since much depends on the thickness of your veal. You want to cook it until the flesh is tender and pulling away from the bones.
Provided by threeovens
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F; season veal with pepper and half the salt.
- Place in a baking dish and surround with carrots and onions; dot veal with butter and roast until veal is lightly brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add lemon, bay leaves, garlic, and cloves to dish and mix with vegetables; add stock, wine and remaining salt.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and braise, uncovered, basting every 10 minutes, until tender, about 90 minutes.
- Transfer veal and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Strain pan juices into a heat proof bowl, skimming off and discarding fat.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and boil vinegar until reduced and syrupy and about 1 teaspoon.
- Stir in pan juices, increase heat to high and boil until reduced by half; taste and adjust seasonings.
- Spoon sauce over veal or serve on the side.
BRAISED VEAL SHOULDER
Provided by Michael Symon : Food Network
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Dry rub veal shoulder with spices and let sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat butter in roasting pan over medium heat. Add veal shoulder and brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add vegetables and cook until tender. Add flour to make roux. Whisk in your liquid and add veal shoulder. Bring to simmer on top of stove and cover with foil. Cook in the oven for 3 hours.
- Remove veal and puree sauce until smooth. Slice veal and coat with sauce to serve.
BRAISED VEAL BREAST
Make and share this Braised Veal Breast recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ilovechocolate
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Prepare the boneless veal breast by removing and discarding all visible fat. Let the meat come to room temperature.
- Roll the meat into a roll, tightly turning one edge inside and on top of itself, like a jellyroll. Cut 4 or 5 12-inch lengths of kitchen twine and tie the roll so that it keeps its uniform shape.
- Season the entire roll with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place a large French oven or braising pan (one that has a cover) over high heat. Add the canola oil and heat for 30 seconds until shimmering.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides. This will take about 10 minutes. Don't rush this step because the browning adds important flavor to the dish.
- Remove the meat to a plate and add the carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pan. Lower the meat to medium and cook until the vegetables soften, about 6 minutes.
- Pour in the wine. Let it boil, scraping the sides and bottom of the pan to remove all the brown bits.
- Add 3 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Do not add any more salt or pepper at any point because through the cooking, the flavors will concentrate and the seasoning on the meat before you browned it will probably be enough. You can also adjust for seasonings at the very end of the cooking.
- Return the meat to the pan. If the meat isn't submerged at least half-way in the stock/wine mixture, add more stock until it is, up to one more cup.
- Cover the pan and adjust the heat so that the liquid is at a low simmer. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, turning the meat over at least once half-way through the cooking.
- When the meat is tender and soft to your touch (press it with the tips of your fingers and make sure that it gives a bit), remove the veal roll from the cooking liquid and place on a plate. Cover with foil to keep it warm.
- Turn the heat up under the remaining cooking liquid and bring to a boil and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half. Check to see if it has reached a sauce-like thickness by dipping a teaspoon in the liquid, turn the spoon over and run your finger through the liquid coating the spoon. If it leaves a clear mark, it has probably thickened enough.
- Strain the liquid through a fine-holed sieve to remove the vegetables. Return the sauce to the pan and add the minced herbs. Taste for seasoning.
- Slice the meat into 1/2-inch pieces and drizzle the sauce over the slices or else pass the sauce in a separate serving dish.
BRAISED VEAL WITH RICE: REISFLEISCH
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Cut the veal into thin slices, the size of a silver dollar.
- In a heavy saute pan, add oil and sear meat. Add onions and saute until golden brown. Deglaze with stock, add the paprika, cumin, garlic, cayenne, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes or until rice is almost done. About 5 minutes before rice is cooked, stir in red peppers and cornichons.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with fresh herbs and grated Parmesan.
- Serve with butter lettuce salad that has been lightly dressed with pumpkinseed oil and balsamic vinegar and seasoned with salt and pepper.
BRAISED VEAL WITH CARDAMOM-SPINACH PUREE
Provided by Molly O'Neill
Categories dinner, project, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Season the veal with 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Place the veal in the pot and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes; take out of the pot and set aside.
- Pour in the milk. Stir in the cardamom, jalapeno, garlic and onion. Bring just to a simmer. Reduce heat, return the veal to the pot, and adjust the heat so that the milk stays just below a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the roast once. Remove from heat, and let the veal stand in the liquid for 20 minutes. Remove the veal from the pot, remove the strings from the veal, and cover with a warm, damp towel.
- Place 1 cup of the cooking liquid in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the spinach, and cook, stirring constantly, until it is completely wilted. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Slice veal into 6 pieces. Spoon some puree into the center of each of 6 plates. Place veal over sauce. Surround with parsleyed potatoes (see recipe), and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 468, UnsaturatedFat 13 grams, Carbohydrate 14 grams, Fat 26 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 43 grams, SaturatedFat 10 grams, Sodium 1066 milligrams, Sugar 11 grams, TransFat 1 gram
BRAISED VEAL FLANK
Provided by Bryan Miller And Pierre Franey
Categories dinner, main course
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim the veal strips to square off the edges. Roll each piece, and tie with twine. Dredge the veal rolls lightly in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- In an ovenproof skillet large enough to hold all the veal rounds in one layer, heat the oil over medium-high flame and brown the veal on all sides, about 15 minutes. Add the onions, leeks, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for another five minutes. When the meat is browned, drain off the fat.
- Add the white wine; bring to a boil. Then, add the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, cloves and four cups of water. Bring to a boil; then, remove from the heat and place in the oven, covered. Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the cover, reduce oven to 350 degrees, and cook for another 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf and thyme and serve with roasted vegetable mirepoix and savoy cabbage (see recipes).
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 741, UnsaturatedFat 21 grams, Carbohydrate 13 grams, Fat 38 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 74 grams, SaturatedFat 12 grams, Sodium 1143 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
WHOLE BRAISED VEAL SHANKS
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a cutting board, use the side of your chef's knife to smash together the chopped garlic and the rosemary to make a coarse paste. Cut several deep holes in the veal shanks with a paring knife-really stab them! Using your index finger, stuff the holes with the rosemary-garlic mixture; this will perfume the shanks with a beautiful aroma while they braise.
- Season the shanks generously with salt. Coat a large sauté pan with olive oil and bring to high heat. Add the shanks to the pan and brown well on all sides; this may take up to 20 minutes. Don't skimp on this step-this is where the big, rich, brown flavors start to develop, so take your time!
- While the shanks are browning, put the onions, carrots, celery, apples, and the remaining 3 cloves of smashed garlic in a food processor and purée to a coarse paste; reserve.
- When the shanks are very brown, transfer them to a roasting pan. Ditch the fat, add a bit of fresh olive oil, and add the puréed veggies and apples to the sauté pan. Season generously with salt and cook until the mixture is very brown and aromatic, 8 to 10 minutes. Again, don't skimp here-you want the veggies to form a crust on the bottom of the pan. This is where more of that lovely brown flavor develops, so take your time.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, until it starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, bring it to a boil (BTB), and stir frequently until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Then transfer everything to the roasting pan with the shanks. Add about 1/2 cup water to the sauté pan to help release any of that good crud stuck to the bottom, then add it to the roasting pan.
- Add 4 to 5 more cups water to the roasting pan and stir to combine; the mix should be pretty soupy. Taste and add more salt if needed, then toss in the bay leaves and the thyme bundle.
- Put the pan in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, turning the shanks every 30 minutes, stirring and adding more water if the liquid reduces too much. If the shanks brown too much during the cooking time, tent the pan with aluminum foil. When the shanks are done they should be incredibly tender and flavorful.
More about "braised veal recipes"
BRAISED VEAL | JAMIE OLIVER
Servings 10Calories 439 per servingTotal Time 3 hrs
- Sauté in the same pan until soft but not coloured, then add the carrots and cook for a few minutes.
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.4/5 (35)Category EntreeAuthor Elizabeth PatrickCalories 666 per serving
BRAISED VEAL SHOULDER WITH GREMOLATA AND TOMATO …
BRAISED VEAL CHEEK AND LEEKS RECIPE - GREAT ITALIAN CHEFS
BRAISED VEAL AND PEPPERS - WHAT SHOULD I MAKE FOR...
10 BEST VEAL BREAST RECIPES | YUMMLY
BRAISED VEAL ON BED OF PAPPARDELLES | FAMILY FONTAINE
VEAL RECIPES - GREAT ITALIAN CHEFS
VERSATILE VEAL - LCBO
BRAISED VEAL CHEEKS RECIPE | JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
GREAT BRAISING RECIPES (MEAT AND VEGETABLES) - THE …
BRAISED VEAL WITH WILD MUSHROOMS RECIPE - GRANT ACHATZ …
5/5 Servings 8
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the canola oil. Season the veal shanks with salt and pepper and brown them in the oil over moderate heat, about 7 minutes per side. Transfer the veal to a plate. Add the onion, carrot and celery to the casserole and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the casserole.
- Return the veal shanks to the casserole and add the bouquet garni. Cover and cook over low heat until the meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until the mushrooms are dry and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the veal shanks to a platter; when cool enough to handle, discard the bones and gristle. Strain the cooking liquid, pressing hard on the solids. Return the liquid to the casserole and boil until it is reduced to 2 cups, about 20 minutes. Return the veal to the sauce, add the mushrooms and cook over low heat just until warmed through. Serve hot.
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS RECIPE | FOOD & WINE
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS - DAIRY FREE RECIPES
BRAISED VEAL BRISKET - RUNNING TO THE KITCHEN®
ITALIAN BRAISED VEAL ROAST | QUEBEC VEAL
BEST CLASSIC FRENCH VEAL STEW RECIPE - SIMPLE. TASTY. GOOD.
BRAISED VEAL AND MUSHROOMS – DR. KELLYANN
MILK-BRAISED VEAL RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
BEST BRAISED VEAL SWEETBREADS WITH FENNEL AND TOMATO RECIPES
BRAISED VEAL SHOULDER ROAST - QUEBEC VEAL
BRAISED VEAL BREAST RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
BRAISED VEAL WITH DRIED MUSHROOMS (FRICANDO AMB MOIXERNONS)
SIMPLE SAVORY GARLIC WINE BRAISED VEAL SHANKS
CHINESE BRAISED VEAL SHANK - DIM SUM RECIPES - MANY SIMPLE …
OSSO BUCO (ITALIAN BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
BRAISED VEAL SHORT RIBS RECIPE | COOKBOOK CREATE
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
BRAISED VEAL SHANK RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
PORT-BRAISED VEAL SHANKS | RICARDO
BRAISED VEAL - MIELE - APPLIANCE.RECIPES
BRAISED VEAL MEATBALLS — MORE THAN GOURMET
THE NASTY BITS: THE TALE OF VEAL RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
BEST OSSO BUCO (BRAISED VEAL SHANKS) RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK …
BRAISED VEAL BRISKET - KOSHEREYE.COM
ENGLISH-STYLE BRAISED VEAL IN STOUT - ONTARIO VEAL APPEAL
WINE-BRAISED VEAL SHANKS | CANADIAN LIVING
BRAISED VEAL RECIPE BY HEART.FOODS | IFOOD.TV
MARSALA-BRAISED VEAL ROAST WITH POTATOES | RICARDO
BRAISED VEAL SHANKS WITH GARLIC RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
You'll also love